- RSS Channel Showcase 8113904
- RSS Channel Showcase 5248970
- RSS Channel Showcase 6876458
- RSS Channel Showcase 3212007
Articles on this Page
- 07/01/15--02:00: _Document of the mon...
- 08/20/15--03:36: _‘An Ocean of Books’
- 11/27/15--02:00: _Registered wills – ...
- 04/15/16--10:03: _Who is more Essex? ...
- 06/07/16--06:59: _Historic sounds of ...
- 11/02/16--08:36: _Document of the Mon...
- 11/08/16--09:37: _Colchester then and...
- 05/18/17--09:24: _“Neither freaks nor...
- 06/01/18--00:30: _Document of the mon...
- 10/10/18--06:35: _‘Never look backwar...
- 07/01/15--02:00: Document of the month, July 2015: The heat of summer
- 08/20/15--03:36: ‘An Ocean of Books’
- 11/27/15--02:00: Registered wills – filling in the gaps
- 04/15/16--10:03: Who is more Essex? Stuart Bingham vs Ali Carter
- 06/07/16--06:59: Historic sounds of Essex – coming to a town near you
- 11/08/16--09:37: Colchester then and now: The Ichnography of Colchester
- 06/01/18--00:30: Document of the month, June 2018: ‘war and confusions’ in Colchester
Each month one of our Archivists selects a document to highlight. This month it is the turn of Chris Lambert – his chosen document will be on display in the ERO Searchroom throughout July 2015. It was July 1615. Joan, … Continue reading
Hannah Salisbury, Engagement and Events Manager In preparing our latest mini-biography of an interesting person from Essex’s past for Essex Life magazine, I came across this wonderful quote from William Gilberd (1544-1603), in the preface to his book De Magnete, published … Continue reading
Wills can tell us all sorts of things about the lives of people in the past, and are a brilliant resource for genealogists and social and economic historians alike. As we have mentioned before, our collections include some 70,000 original … Continue reading
There are many things for us Essexians to be proud of, and it seems that one of them is our county’s tendency to produce incredibly talented snooker players, most famously Ronnie O’Sullivan. In more recent years two more top-ranked players … Continue reading
Sarah-Joy Maddeaux, You Are Hear Project Officer If a bench could talk, what would it say? The listening benches being installed across the county by the Essex Record Office do talk, and they tell you stories and play you recordings of local … Continue reading
D/DU 1407/1 As the clocks go back again for the winter, November’s Document of the Month looks at the introduction of Daylight Saving Time in the UK in 1916, when the clocks went forward by one hour at 2 am … Continue reading
Regular readers will probably have noticed our Chelmsford Then and Now series of blog posts, written by Ashleigh Hudson, who worked with us on a research placement last year as part of her MA degree with the University of Essex. … Continue reading
On Wednesday 16 September 1908, Amy Hicks spoke at a suffrage meeting held at the Co-operative Hall in Colchester and declared that campaigners for women’s suffrage were ‘neither freaks nor frumps’. This was the third of three suffrage campaign meetings … Continue reading
Archivist Lawrence Barker tells us about his choice for Document of the Month: a newly accessioned Church Book from Colchester dating from 1796-1816 (D/NC 42/1/1A). A year of ‘war and confusions’: this is how the Reverend Joseph Herrick (1794-1865) described … Continue reading
As the centenary of the end of the First World War approaches, we are delving into our collection looking at some of the fascinating wartime documents we look after. Join us on Saturday 10th November 2018 to mark 100 years … Continue reading